Tuesday, September 1, 2009

UPDATED: Electric Usage - 8c/mi (if my math is right)



So I finally remembered to grab the PSE&G bill on he way in the door to ID the usage and billing compared to the numbers I have been logging. Here is the view of my data. I hear that we have expensive electricity in NJ so I am curious how this compares to Ca. Also there are like 5 different rate tiers in my 1 bill that spread the costs across each tier. These represent the average'd prices.

Does this look correct to everyone? How am I doing against the group? Did I mention that I like to drive fast?


5 comments:

  1. How are you getting the kWh for each charge? Our wall charger has no such readout.

    actualsize

    ReplyDelete
  2. And another thing... why is your electric rate comprised of two parts - delivery + supply?

    actualsize

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you like to drive fast shows in your kWh/100 consumption rate. I calculated it from your chart and got 41.4 kWh/100miles. The Mini E's window sticker lists consumption at 34 kWh/100 on the EPA combined cycle.

    actualsize

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on your stated electricity cost and a 41.4 kWh consumption rate, your 7.9 cent cost per mile is accurate. If your electricity was instead priced at the US average of 11.64 cents per kWh, you'd only be paying 4.8 cents per mile.

    A 2010 Prius on gasoline at $2.58 per gallon (the current US average) costs 5.2 cents per mile to fill up. That assumes the driver is achieving the window sticker of 50 MPG combined and isn't a leadfoot, like yourself. ;-)

    I'm still not clear on the supply + delivery cost stack-up. My bill isn't structured like that here in SoCal.

    actualsize

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actualsize, thanks for the posts. I believe that our bills are structured that way because of the fact that Nj is a multi-provider energy state. i can chose to buy electricity from a wind farm, etc. I would pay the provider the supply fee and my regular power company gets the delivery fee regardless of my energy provider. That is just my guess, maybe someone from NJ can tell me if that is right.

    ReplyDelete